We are seeking a strategic and entrepreneurial Tax Director for our hyper growth company that focuses on a 360-degree customer-for-life cloud software solution. As a Global Tax Leader, you’ll be responsible for building out a tax function and working closely with the Company’s tax counsel to drive optimal tax outcomes through appropriate global tax strategy, operations, reporting and compliance.
The Leader will report into the VP – Controller and will be based out of Freshwork’s global headquarters in San Mateo. You will work closely with the accounting and tax teams based in both the US and India. In this position you’ll serve as a key leader of our finance team and will have numerous opportunities to increase your responsibilities and take on new challenges in a supportive and encouraging environment. If you’re looking for a fast-paced, but demanding work culture where you can truly impact the bottom line, this role is for you.
· Build, lead, mentor, and develop the tax team
· Establish partner relations with tax counsel in a model that optimizes value add with costs
· Oversee tax strategy and planning by partnering with Regional General Managers and working with external tax advisors to evaluate tax planning strategies and initiatives which minimize the Global Effective Tax Rate, on a defensible basis
· Participate in review of proposed M&A transactions to properly advise management of tax consequences
· Support the Federal income tax integration of business acquisitions
· Work with tax advisors to proactively review potential exposures related to Permanent Establishment, withholding tax, VAT exposures in each country that the Company operates in
· Coordinate information and work papers to prepare tax filings such as US Federal and International income taxes along with Tax Summary Reconciliation and Tax Return Item Memo, US State Sales Tax, Other US State taxes, International Geos: VAT returns
· Support the accurate preparation of the Company’s Federal/Foreign income tax expense (both current and deferred) and withholding taxes for financial statement purposes
· Evaluate uncertain tax reporting positions and business combinations in order to properly reflect the tax treatment of such items in the financial statements
· Ensure compliance with ASC 740 by assisting with preparing tax provision workings for US Federal tax, India and other geos income tax (per local GAAP) as well as deferred tax computations
· Own transfer pricing by ensuring inter-company invoices are promptly raised and accounted, in accordance with Transfer Pricing Agreements as well as prompt filing of returns and other compliances, including appropriate documentation, in each geo
· Periodic review of nexus and potential exposure to state sales and other taxes
· Ensure correct calculations and prompt payment of advance tax in all applicable geos
· Work with the tax advisors to maintain and keep updated a tax and compliance calendar for each geo
Experience and Skills
· Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, with an emphasis in taxation
· CPA or Chartered Accountant preferred
· 6+ years of Big Four Tax or Corporate Tax experience desired
Knowledge of principles of taxation: Global Effective Tax Rates, Transfer Pricing, Permanent Establishment, withholding taxes, Fringe Benefit Tax, taxation on stock-based compensation, deferred taxes etc.
Broad technical knowledge of US and international tax law and regulations, such as Base Erosion and Anti-abuse Tax (BEAT), Global Intangible Low-taxed Income (GILTI), Sub-part F, Transition Tax, Foreign Tax Credits etc.
Solid GAAP Financial Accounting / ASC 740 knowledge
Perks & Benefits
· Happy people culture
· Unlimited PTO and paid holidays
· Comprehensive health insurance benefits and 401(K)
· Company equity
· Performance bonus
· Casual dress
· Stocked kitchen with snacks and drinks including cold brew and kombucha on tap
· Frequent team lunches
· Regular team happy hours and fun events
· Quarterly rewards dinners, frequent office parties, and holiday parties
· Professional growth and career advancement
· Diversity and inclusion programs and intracompany committees
· Mentorship program
· Commuter transit benefits
· Adoption assistance
Freshworks provides innovative customer engagement software for businesses of all sizes, making it easy for teams to acquire, close, and keep their customers for life. Freshworks Software-as-a-Service (SaaS) products provide a 360-degree view of the customer, are ready to go, easy to use, and offer quick return on investment. Headquartered in San Mateo, USA, Freshworks 2,000+ team members work in offices throughout the world. Freshworks has global offices in India, Singapore, Australia, UK, Netherlands, France and Germany. The company counts over 220,000 businesses in its customer-for-life community around the world including Honda, Bridgestone, Hugo Boss, University of Pennsylvania, Toshiba, Sling TV, Sotheby’s and Cisco.
suite of products that transform the way world class organizations collaborate
with customers and co-workers, include Freshdesk (Omni-channel customer
support), Freshservice (IT Service Desk), Freshsales (Intuitive
fully-integrated CRM), Freshmarketer (Marketing Automation Suite), Freshteam
(HR Management System for growing teams), Freshchat (Modern messaging software)
and Freshcaller (Cloud PBX system).
Freshworks has received numerous accolades from analysts and media including making it to Forbes’ Cloud 100 list, Economic Times Startup of the Year, 2019 LinkedIn Top 25 Companies to work for in India and a listing on the Magic Quadrant for CRM Customer Engagement & IT Service Management. While Freshworks has had incredible organic growth over the last few years, the company also has made targeted acquisitions that add critical capabilities to the portfolio including Natural Language Processing, Chatbots, Machine Learning, Social and Messaging Transformation. Freshworks has raised over $250 million in capital and is funded by Accel, CapitalG, Sequoia Capital and Tiger Global Management. More information is available at: www.Freshworks.com.